Peterson Construction was formed in February of 1957 by John Peterson and Alfred Huisinga. It was then known as Huisinga & Peterson Construction. The first years of business were focused on residential construction, remodeling, cabinet making, and small agricultural buildings. The company's original office was located in John's home. In the spring of 1959, Huisinga & Peterson Construction relocated to a larger office and shop at the current location of 1929 West Second Street.
Diversification began in July 1963 with the construction of a nursing home in Fort Dodge. Commercial and institutional buildings and multi-family housing were soon part of the company's capabilities. The nursing home also marked the first bonded job by the company.
1979 marked the most significant change in the company as John Peterson bought out Alfred Huisinga's interest and formed the sole proprietorship of Peterson Construction. This change also pushed the company another step up the diversity ladder by taking on manufacturing projects.
John's son, Gerald Peterson, joined his father in business in May of 1981. He had just graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in Construction Engineering. The father son duo successfully negotiated and bid on industrial, renovation, and heavy highway work.
In 1986, Peterson Construction became a member of the Master Builders of Iowa (MBI), an affiliate of the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC). This network of contractors, including associate and affiliate members, provides many services such as safety programs, training programs, and governing affairs.
John's son, Joel Peterson, joined the family business in June of 1988. He brought with him a degree in Construction Engineering from Iowa State University and two years experience as a cost engineer for Proctor & Gamble of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Peterson Construction became incorporated in January of 1989. Incorporation allowed for the continued growth and development of the company.
Peterson Construction became a third generation company when Gerald's son, Jake Peterson, joined the business in May 2010. He graduated with a degree in Industrial Technology with an emphasis in Safety from Iowa State University.
The third generation expanded when Gerald's son, Karl Peterson, joined his family in business in January 2014. He graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in Construction Engineering in December of 2013.
1929 West Second Street, Webster City, IA 50595, US
Phone: (515) 832-1216 Fax: (515) 832-3782
08:00 am – 05:00 pm